Hit or Miss?

by - Wednesday, September 05, 2012



I have never been really concerned about the use of makeup primers on my client’s or my own’s makeup routine. I have personally always thought it was an unnecessary extra step that really didn’t make much of a difference in the application.

I have tried Smashbox’s Photo Finish Primer on my clients way back but I found that it was unnecessary. When I tried it on myself, it felt heavy on my skin so I stopped using it.

One makeup primer I believe in as well was Lancome’s La Base Pro. It’s lightweight and is easily absorbed even on extremely dry face. But, Lancome is what you call an “investment” and a luxury so I don’t recommend it on students or yuppies on a budget.

For maturing skin, if you are looking for a good fine-line filler, there’s nothing better than Makeup International’s Light Lift formula. It’s a clear liquid that instantly lifts and fills wrinkles, prepping the skin for makeup application. (P1,800 at Media Makeup. G/F Evekal Bldg, Pasay Rd.)

Anyhoo, I decided to give primers another chance. I looked around for affordable alternatives and it really boils down to ELF when it comes to QUALITY and yet affordable makeup.

Be sure to shake the bottle well before you start pumping product on your fingers, sometimes the oils get separated that if you don’t shake it well, all you get out of that first few pumps is oil.

ELF’s Mineral Infused Face Primer (P399.75), feels a bit oily on first application when first contact on skin. I actually felt a bit weird after 1 layer because I felt like I was wearing some kind of oil mask. Although it didn’t look oily (it was matte even!), it’s just that you know there’s that layer of primer there.

The BB cream glided on smoothly using my fingers. It didn’t have any streaks when you apply it, you know, like it’s as if it’s sliding off and you need several applications to cover? This however, made a perfect canvas for my BB cream and liquid foundation.

All throughout the day, I didn’t shine as much on my T-zone which was great! I didn’t have to use so much oil blotters, in fact, my skin looked dewy and healthy looking. Even when I got home, I looked at myself in the mirror before washing it off, my makeup looked natural and not as if it’s just plastered on at the surface of your skin.

The thing is, I don’t know if I was just conscious that I had primer on my face, or if it really feels that way. But overall I would have to say, I would definitely buy this product again and would recommend it to people who are looking for a good everyday primer!

You May Also Like

0 comments





FOLLOW @THEMAKEUPMAVEN ON INSTAGRAM